Paragon Architecture

Heritage-info-and-photos

The Paragon Theatre is a large timber building with a masonry façade prominently located on Churchill Street in Childers. The rear section of the building is a large shed-like form clad in unpainted timber weatherboards with a pitched, galvanised iron roof. The side walls have high level louvred openings under the eaves and timber framed windows in the lower section of the wall. The parapeted façade is composed of face brick pilasters which divide the surface into three bays rendered with roughcast stucco. The parapet edge features a rectangular signage block flanked by a masonry balustrade. Three sets of timber casement windows are located in the upper sections of each of the bays. The glass of the windows has been painted and each set of windows is surmounted by horizontal awnings with small hipped roofs and supported by timber brackets. A large awning projects from the surface of the façade, supported by iron tie-backs. The horizontal awning features a centrally located shallow arch which defines the entrance. Raised lettering on the front of the awning spelling 'PARAGON' is located on the arch. The entrance is via concrete steps to four pairs of folding glass and timber doors. Tapered pylons abutting the wall surface flank the entrance doors and support another arch over the doorway. Two shop fronts are situated at the corners of the front façade. The entry area has also been sub-divided with a lightweight partition in order to create a sub-tenancy. The shop to the left is occupied by the retail store "At Rainbow's End" and the shop to the right is occupied by the Isis Family Daycare office.  The original ticket office and small foyer area are located to the eastern side of the entry. Internally the theatre retains many of its early features, including seating, timber fretwork and lattice, light fittings and some balustrading. The ceiling and most of the side walls are covered with timber lattice mounted on timber posts, that stops just above the level of the exit doors in the side walls. The bottom edge of the lattice is finished with shallow arches trimmed with a double stripe painted in black. At the top of the side walls is a broad band of decoration achieved by picking out a pattern within the lattice with black paint. The screen is covered with long curtains and is surrounded with fibro-cement panelling that frames the screen, now covering the proscenium. The orchestra pit has also been boarded over. Most of the ground floor seating is comprised of canvas, deckchair-type seating with one row of tip-up seating located against the back wall. The balcony upstairs has a raked, stepped timber floor, with each row of seats occupying a different level. The seating in the front three rows is timber and upholstered fixed seating, there are then two rows of canvas seats and a final row of "dress circle" seating at the back. The projection box if located at the rear of the balcony in a space enclosed with fibro-cement panelling. A small timber residence is connected to the rear of the building and is occupied.


Element Name: Paragon Theatre - Residence
Design Period: 1919 - 1930s Interwar period
Construction Period: c.1927
Construction Method: Frame - timber
Fabric (Exterior Structure): Timber - boards
Fabric (Roof): Metal sheeting
Roof Form: Gabled

Element Name: Paragon Theatre
Designer Name: Robson, Arthur
Design Period: 1919 - 1930s Interwar period
Builder Name: Mellefont, P Jnr
Construction Period: 1927 - 1927
Fabric (Exterior Structure): Timber - weatherboard, Brick
Fabric (Roof): Metal sheeting
Roof Form: Parapet front, Gabled
Place Components: Foyer - entrance, Proscenium arch, Dress circle, Projection booth/Bio box, Shop/s, Auditorium